Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Kite

It would be the day to fly kites
I would wake up early in the morning
Rubbing my eyes I would go to my mom
Aai….I want kite
Aai would reach for her small purse
With the jewelers name on it
From whom she had brought
fake diamond earrings
An year ago

I buy a kite
And winds of string
Sharp…like a warrior’s blade
And run to the terrace
To climb upon the water tank
And fly it high
Into the sky
Filled with infinite kites
Like the one
I have

Aai would shout….
“Take care…..don’t climb on the tank”

I would still climb on it
And fly my kite
High….
To touch the skies chest
High….
Till it turned to an invisible dot

And an unasked tiff
With an unknown bully
At other end
Of the sky......
I would loose my kite

I would wind back my string
Between my thumb
And the last finger
In a coil…..
shaped like ‘eight’

I would run back to Aai
To say
“Aai I’ve lost my kite”
And again the crimson little purse
Would open
To fetch me another kite….

As I left for the terrace again
Aai would again shout
“Be careful!!!!”

It has been a long time
And I know how to be careful
I know not to climb high to the water tank
And I don’t rush through the steps

But my hands are empty
For there is no kite in them
Nor is there a string

“Aai….I have lost my kite…
No…don’t open your purse
For your little purse
Can’t pay for my kite now
You can’t do anything
But just stand and listen
Aai….I’ve lost my kite
To the unknown bully
At the other end of the sky….”

2 Comments:

Blogger solitarywhite said...

brought back memories..
you never fail to bring them back!

awesome :)

7:38 AM  
Blogger mad hatter said...

as usual.. very evocative. the crimson jewellers purse more to me than the kite :) - but then the kite could be anything at all from those times.

- Suparna

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home